These days fully unlocking the features of any software often requires setting up an account. Microsoft Software is no exception. Setting up a Microsoft account is free, and it’s quick. There are a lot of benefits to setting up an account, and without one, many of the features available in Microsoft Packages are unavailable or restricted.
This guide discusses what a Microsoft account is and what the benefits are. At the end of the article, there is a quick guide to setting up a Microsoft account.
What Devices, Software, and Services need a Microsoft Account?
Opening a Microsoft account is increasingly mandatory if you are using Microsoft products. Because there are so many Microsoft products, many people will already have a Microsoft account and may not realize it. Additionally, Microsoft accounts used to be referred to as a “Windows Live ID.” If you have such an account, then you already have a Microsoft account.
In all likelihood, if you own or use any of the Microsoft products or services listed below, you will already have set up an account.
- Email – Outlook.com, msn.com, live.com – If you have any of these email addresses, then you already have a Microsoft account.
- Xbox Live – If you own an Xbox or have an Xbox Live account, this is also a Microsoft account.
- Office Online Apps – Apps like Office 365 require a Microsoft. It is also possible that if you use offline versions, you may still have a Microsoft Account.
- OneDrive – OneDrive cloud storage requires an account with Microsoft.
- Skype – Skype is a Microsoft product and requires an account to use.
- Windows – A Microsoft account is mandatory for Windows 11 and is usually set up with Windows 10.
Why do I need a Microsoft Account?
From the above list, it is apparent that an account is almost mandatory if you use Microsoft products. This is especially true if you want to access the full range of features and benefits of your product.
Here are some of the reasons why you need one -and the benefits of – a free Microsoft Account:
- One account lets you log in and manage all your Microsoft apps and services.
- Settings and history sync across multiple devices.
- New PC? Not a problem! All your personal settings cross over when you log into your account.
- Access to the Windows App store requires a Microsoft account.
- A free Microsoft account comes with 5GB of OneDrive storage.
- A Microsoft account is required to download and activate many Microsoft apps.
Put simply, if you own or want to own Microsoft products, then an account is essential if you want to use them to their fullest potential. Indeed, in many instances, it is now a mandatory requirement with many of their products. In other words, without an account, you won’t be able to use your product!
Can I link an older Microsoft account to a new purchase?
It is easy to associate a Microsoft Account with a new software license. For instance, if you purchase any Microsoft product from Brytesoft, the first thing that happens is we will send you a genuine Microsoft product key within a few seconds of your purchase.
As an example, say you purchased a license for Microsoft Office 2021 Professional Plus. Once you receive your key, you need to download the product from the Microsoft website. At this stage, you will be required to log in with an existing account or create a new one. If you already have an account, then once you log in to your MS Office software, it will always be associated with that account.
How do I set up a Microsoft account?
If you don’t have a Microsoft account, don’t worry. Setting up an account is quick and easy (and free!). The following steps guide you through the process.
1. Using any browser, navigate to the Microsoft Login Page.
2. Click Sign in and click the option – No account? – Create one.
3. You are then asked to provide an email address. Note – This does not need to be a Microsoft email, although there is an option to create one if you’d prefer. After you enter your email, you are prompted to enter a password.
4. Once this is complete, you are asked to enter some personal details, including – Name, date of birth, and country of residence.
5. You will now be asked to verify your email address by responding to an email from Microsoft. Finally, you will have to prove your “non-robot” status by completing a Captcha test.
6. And that’s it! You now have a Microsoft account and can all the benefits that come with it.
To fully unlock the potential of your Microsoft product, an account is essential. It allows you to manage your products and subscriptions, access free cloud storage, and synchronize your preferences across devices. It also allows you to purchase and activate the entire range of discounted Microsoft products available from Brytesoft.
We hope you found this guide useful and insightful. It is part of our ongoing commitment to customer care. This commitment includes curating guides and walkthroughs to many of the common queries that arise when purchasing Microsoft products.
If you want to know more about the products we sell or have any other queries, please reach out to us. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will be delighted to help!